7 shocking health benefits of Gotu kola
Gotu kola is a versatile herb that goes by many names.
Also known as Centella, Asian pennywort, or Indian pennywort, Gotu kola is an herb.
Besides, it has many health benefits.
Gotu kola grows in the wetlands of Asia. It is native to China, Japan, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and South Africa.
For centuries, the leaves and stems have been used as a natural remedy to treat everything from depression to gastric ulcers.
Some people even attribute the elephant’s impressive memory and long life to the potent properties of this medicinal herb.
From enhancing wound healing to relieving anxiety, Gotu kola is a powerful herbal remedy that can have a huge impact on your health.
Gotu Kola Nutrition Facts
Gotu kola is a member of the Apiaceae plant family, along with carrots, celery, and parsley. Its taste can vary from mild to slightly bitter and it is virtually odor-free.
Besides being a prominent ingredient in many traditional Asian cuisines, it is also conveniently found in many forms.
These include tea, capsule, tincture, dried herb, and extract.
Gotu kola contains many nutrients, which can contribute to its medicinal properties, including several B vitamins, vitamin C, and a handful of phytonutrients such as flavonoids, tannins, and polyphenols.
These phytonutrients provide you with antioxidants, beneficial compounds that prevent damage to your cells and help prevent disease.
However, the nutritional profile of Gotu kola can vary significantly based on many factors, such as how it is processed or prepared.
Health benefits of Gotu Kola
1.- Improve memory
• One of the best-known health benefits of Gotu kola is its potential to improve cognition and sharpen memory.
• A study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease revealed that Gotu kola extract can improve memory at the molecular level by enhancing the activity of a pathway that is associated with long-term memory formation.
• This was demonstrated in a 2002 animal study in which rats were given Gotu kola extract and underwent a series of tests to measure their cognitive function.
The extract was shown to improve learning and memory by increasing antioxidant levels in the blood.
• Another study found that supplementation with Gotu kola was able to increase memory and cognitive function in older participants.
• Thanks to its strong memory-enhancing abilities, this powerful plant has come into the limelight lately as a natural treatment to help slow the age-related decline and progression of diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
2.- Improves circulation
• Poor circulation can be the result of many different causes, including varicose veins, obesity, diabetes, and peripheral arterial disease.
Decreases in blood flow can be behind symptoms such as numbness, tingling, and muscle pain.
• Traditional treatments to help improve circulation include exercising, elevating the legs, and avoiding long periods of immobility.
Supplementation with Gotu kola can also help, as it has been studied extensively for its unique ability to naturally improve blood circulation.
• One study gave 87 participants with poor circulation a dose of 30 milligrams or 60 milligrams twice a day for 60 days.
This was found to significantly improve circulation compared to a placebo.
• Meanwhile, a review published in 2013 looked at eight studies and found that Gotu kola was effective in improving circulation and alleviating symptoms of poor circulation, such as swelling, heavy legs, and pain.
• Adding Gotu kola to your daily routine, along with other remedies, such as regular physical activity, can increase blood flow to help you avoid the negative side effects of poor circulation.
3.- Repairs the skin
• Another notable benefit of Gotu kola is its ability to repair skin cells and increase the health of your skin.
• It effectively increases the antioxidant activity in your tissues.
This helps in wound healing and skin regeneration.
Antioxidants can help neutralize harmful free radicals.
These are compounds that build up over time to cause oxidative damage and accelerate aging.
• An animal study found that applying Gotu kola to wounds twice daily increased levels of some antioxidants by as much as 77 percent after seven days.
• In another animal study, it was applied to wounds three times a day for 24 days, which was found to increase collagen production and regenerate new skin cells more quickly.
Collagen is the most abundant type of protein in the body and is responsible for the repair and renewal of the skin.
• Due to its positive effects on skin health, Gotu kola is also used topically as a natural remedy for skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
4.- Relieves depression and anxiety
• In addition to being good for your physical health, some studies have found that Gotu kola might also benefit your mental health.
• This is because it has anxiolytic and antidepressant properties.
This means that it can naturally inhibit anxiety, help treat depression, calm nerves, and even act as a sedative to promote better sleep.
• A 2010 study gave 33 participants 500 milligrams of Gotu kola twice a day for 60 days. This not only reduced anxiety levels but also decreased levels of stress and depression.
• A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology yielded similar findings and showed that elderly participants who supplemented with Gotu kola showed improvements in both mood and memory.
• Additionally, multiple animal studies have confirmed the anxiety-relieving and antidepressant beneficial effects of Gotu Kola.
5.- Prevents gastric ulcers
• Gastric ulcers are sores that form on the lining of the stomach, esophagus, or small intestine. They cause symptoms such as pain, nausea, and bleeding.
• Some studies suggest that Gotu kola can help prevent and treat these damaging injuries by strengthening the intestinal barrier and blocking damage from harmful free radicals.
• In fact, a study in the journal Life Sciences showed that supplementation of rats with Gotu kola reduced gastric ulcer formation by as much as 82 percent.
• Another animal study found that the active compounds in Gotu kola were able to shrink the gastric ulcer after just three days.
• Along with other gastric ulcer treatments, such as reducing stress levels, limiting alcohol consumption, and avoiding foods that irritate the stomach, Gotu kola may help prevent and treat gastric ulcers.
6.- Reduces inflammation
• Inflammation is a normal biological response to injury.
Chronic inflammation, however, can wreak great havoc on the body and contribute to diseases such as heart disease, obesity, arthritis, diabetes, and cancer.
• From protecting your cells from damage to preventing chronic disease, antioxidants are essential for many aspects of health.
They have even been shown to help relieve inflammation.
• Gotu kola can improve antioxidant activity in the body. This can help reduce inflammation and aid in the treatment of various inflammatory disorders.
• A 2008 animal study, for example, showed that its active compounds could decrease various inflammatory markers and reduce the severity of arthritis in rats.
• To take advantage of its anti-inflammation benefits, be sure to supplement your diet with other antioxidant-rich whole foods, such as fruits and vegetables.
7.- It can help kill cancer cells
• Although current research is limited to test-tube studies, some evidence shows that Gotu kola might help kill cancer cells.
• This is likely due to its powerful antioxidant activity, as antioxidants can help neutralize cancer-causing free radicals and prevent damage to your cells.
• A 2008 study treated human breast cancer cells with Gotu kola extract and found that it successfully blocked cancer growth and induced cancer cell death.
• Another study found that it was effective in causing cell death of various strains of cancer cells, including human breast cancer cells, mouse skin cancer cells, and rat brain cancer cells.
• However, while this evidence is promising, more studies are needed to evaluate the potential effect of Gotu kola on cancer cells in humans.
Gotu kola and testosterone level
- Gotu Kola is thought to increase testosterone levels because men who take it seem to have lower occurrences of erectile dysfunction and they grow muscle faster
- One explanation could be that this herb helps to dilate blood vessels and increase blood circulation to the lower parts of the body. Since an erection is caused by blood rushing to the penis, one is able to get an erection faster and hold it for longer.
- The same goes for muscle. In order for it to grow as you work out it needs to be well-nourished with protein. This protein is transported to the muscle via the blood vessels so when they dilate they are able to feed the muscles more efficiently.
History of Gotu Kola
Gotu kola has a rich history in its use as a medicinal herb.
Native primarily to Southeast Asia, it has been a basic natural remedy for centuries.
Historically, it has been used for everything from promoting lactation to treating herpes, as well as a myriad of other conditions.
In addition to its medicinal effects, Gotu kola was also revered in India and China for its ability to enhance spirituality.
Many still refer to it as the “Herb of Enlightenment.”
Today, while Gotu kola remains a prominent part of many traditional Asian cuisines, it is appreciated by people around the world for its powerful health-promoting properties.
How to use Gotu Kola
Incorporating Gotu kola into your daily routine is easy and effective, thanks to the many varieties available.
In many Asian countries, it is used as a leafy vegetable in curries, side dishes, and soups. It is also a popular salad base.
Here are some other recipes you can try:
• Cashews and Gotu Kola Sauce
• Burmese Pennywort Salad
• Vallarai Keerai Kootu (Pennywort leaves with lentils)
You can also have a comforting cup of Gotu kola herbal tea, use it as a cream or ointment for skin conditions and wound healing, add a few drops of liquid extract to your drinks, or pop a quick and convenient capsule.
The many forms of Gotu kola are widely available in most pharmacies and health stores, as well as online.
Look for a reputable brand with minimal ingredients to ensure you get the best quality.
Recommended doses generally start at 1 gram per day and can reach up to 4 grams per day.
You should start low and increase slowly to assess your tolerance.
Gotu kola for skincare
Take 60 to 100 mg of gotu kola extract 3 times per day for a week, before and after any flights.
You can also massage the affected area with a topical cream containing 1 percent gotu kolaextract.
Gotu kola side effects
• Although generally safe when used in recommended doses, some side effects have been reported.
• Although rare, side effects can include headaches, nausea, drowsiness, dizziness, and skin irritation.
If you experience these or any other adverse reactions after taking Gotu kola, you should discontinue use and consult your healthcare professional.
• Additionally, most research advises against use for longer than six weeks and recommends taking a two-week break if using for an extended period.
• Most also recommend not using Gotu kola if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as its effects have not been studied in infants or children.
• Finally, because high doses can act as a sedative, some sources caution against using Gotu kola in combination with medications used to treat anxiety or sleep disorders.
Gotu kola side effect on the liver
Gotu kola has been used in some studies that lasted up to one year. However, gotu kola has the potential to be harmful to the liver.
It is best not to use gotu kola for more than 6 weeks without talking to your doctor. You may need to take a 2-week break before taking the herb again.
Gotu kola tea
Drinking Gotu Kola Tea is not only a refreshing way to spice up your day, but is also a convenient and delicious way to boost your nutrient intake.
A cup of Gotu Kola Tea is a natural source of carotenoids, vitamins B & C, and flavonoids. Gotu kola also contains some important minerals.
• Gotu kola is as versatile in its uses as it is in its impressive health-promoting properties.
From sharpening memory and improving cognition to relieving inflammation, Gotu kola is an easy way to pack a concentrated dose of health benefits into your day.
• Fortunately, there are many options available if you are looking to reap the benefits of this powerful herb.
Capsules, powders, tinctures, and creams are all simple and effective ways that can help improve your health.
• Combine Gotu kola with a balanced diet and active lifestyle to maximize its impact and help optimize your physical and mental well-being.
We hope the article on the 7 shocking health benefits of Gotu kola has been of help to you.