Discover the Top 10 Antiviral Herbs And Their Health Benefits.
Did you know that there are more than 400 different viruses that can cause infections, including the common cold, flu, hepatitis, mononucleosis, and HIV?
Today, many people choose to have an annual influenza vaccine or flu shot, but this is only 80 percent effective due to mutant strains of the influenza virus.
In addition, these vaccines educate the immune system inappropriately and unnaturally, and they often contain dangerous chemicals and preservatives.
Fortunately, several powerful antiviral herbs boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, and fight infection.
Antiviral herbs inhibit the growth of viruses. They can be used to treat infections without caution because they are harmless and generally cause few or no side effects.
Many of the antiviral herbs stimulate the immune system, allowing the body to attack viral pathogens.
This may be even better than targeting specific pathogens, which antiviral drugs are designed to do because pathogens mutate over time and become less susceptible to treatment.
Antiviral herbs not only fight viral infections, boost the immune system, and work as natural flu remedies, but they also have other health benefits, such as cardiovascular, digestive, and anti-inflammatory support.
A virus is a small infectious agent that can only replicate within the living cells of other organisms. Viruses can infect all types of life forms: humans, animals, plants, and microorganisms, including bacteria and archaea. They are found in almost every ecosystem on Earth and are the most abundant type of biological entity.
Viruses have been described as “organisms on the brink of life” because they carry genetic material, reproduce and evolve through natural selection, but they lack cellular structure, which generally needs to be regarded as life.
There are many ways that a virus spreads. In animals, a virus is carried by blood-sucking insects. Some viruses, like the flu, are spread by coughing and sneezing.
Viruses such as viral gastroenteritis (infectious diarrhea) are transmitted by the fecal-oral route (which is the result of poor sanitation) and are transmitted from person to person by contact or enter the body through food and water.
HIV is one of several viruses that are transmitted through sexual contact and exposure to infected blood.
The scary thing about catching a virus is that antibiotics don’t work. Vaccines are also unpredictable, and viruses, including those that cause AIDS and viral hepatitis, elude these vaccine-induced immune responses and cause chronic infections.
• Elderberry has a long and rich history of use for medicinal benefits in numerous cultures.
• It fights infections including influenza, herpes, viral infections, and bacterial infections.
• A study published in the Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine concluded that elderberry can be used as a safe treatment for influenza A and B.
• This is due to its efficacy on all the influenza virus strains that were tested, the clinical results, its low cost, and the absence of side effects.
• Most of every part of the elderberry can be used – the flowers, bark, roots, and leaves are often used for their amazing health benefits. To discover the benefits of elderberry for your health today.
• Echinacea has become one of the best-selling antiviral herbs of all time; That’s because regular use of echinacea is beneficial for immune support and overall health.
• There is considerable evidence to suggest that the phytochemicals in echinacea can reduce virus and tumor infections.
• This powerful herb contains a compound called echinacea that inhibits bacteria and viruses from penetrating healthy cells.
• This greatly reduces the chances of getting any kind of infection while consuming echinacea.
• Some more benefits of echinacea include its ability to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, improve skin problems, treat upper respiratory problems, and improve mental health.
• The flower petals of the calendula plant, which is sometimes called calendula, have been used medicinally since at least the 12th century.
• This antiviral herb has high amounts of flavonoids, which are plant-based antioxidants that protect cells from being damaged by free radicals; it also fights viruses, inflammation, and bacteria.
• The dried petals of the plant are used in tinctures, ointments, and washes to treat infections, burns, wounds, and healing cuts quickly.
• According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, marigold-containing ear drops are sometimes used to treat ear infections in children, and scientific studies have found no side effects.
• Experiments have shown that garlic, or specific chemical compounds found in garlic, is highly effective in killing myriad microorganisms responsible for some of the more common and rarer infections, such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, yeast infections, and herpes.
• Due to its antiviral properties, garlic can be used to treat eye infections and as a natural remedy for ear infections.
• Some more benefits of raw garlic include its ability to reduce cancer risk, control hypertension, improve cardiovascular health, and fight hair loss.
• To make a garlic oil infusion at home, crush the garlic cloves and add them to a carrier oil (such as olive oil).
• Let the mixture sit for about five hours, and then strain the garlic pieces and store the oil in a container with a lid.
• You can also swallow a raw garlic clove; You may need to cut it in half if it is too large.
• Bite once to release allicin; then swallow with water like a pill.
• Astragalus root, very powerful in antiviral herbs, has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries, and its main use is to stimulate the body’s immune system.
• Scientific studies have shown that astragalus has antiviral properties and boosts the immune system, suggesting that it may help prevent the common cold or flu.
• A 2004 study evaluated the effects of astragalus on herpes simplex virus type 1 and found that the herb has obvious inhibitory efficacy.
• Another study published in the Chinese Medical Sciences Journal concluded that astragalus is capable of inhibiting the growth of the coxsackie B virus in mice.
• Astragalus also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and is used on the skin for wound care.
• It is also one of the seven adaptogenic herbs to reduce cortisol.
• The bark and root of a cat’s claw have been used by South Americans for centuries to treat health problems such as fever, stomach ulcers, digestive conditions, and dysentery.
• Cat’s claw works as a natural remedy for arthritis and also treats ulcer symptoms.
• Cat’s claw has antiviral properties and is used as a natural cure for herpes.
• Early studies are also investigating its effects on HIV.
• This powerful herb is also anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal.
• It is used to treat digestive problems such as ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, and leaky gut syndrome.
• The best way to consume a cat’s claw regularly is by making herbal tea with one tablespoon of the herb in eight ounces of water.
• Ayurvedic medicine has praised ginger’s ability to boost the immune system before recorded history.
• He believes that because ginger is so effective at warming up the body, it can help break down toxin buildup in your organs.
• It is also known to clean the lymphatic system, the sewer system of our body.
• Ginger prevents the accumulation of toxins that make you susceptible to viral, fungal, and bacterial infections.
• The health benefits of medicinal ginger also include working as a natural remedy for nausea, pain relief, anti-inflammatory properties, and diabetes improvement.
• Licorice is emerging as a leading player in the search for treatment and prevention of diseases such as hepatitis C, HIV, and the flu.
• The Chinese Journal of Virology published a review confirming the antiviral activity of licorice root due to its triterpenoid content.
• Another publication from 2010 highlights the antioxidant, free radical scavenging, and immunostimulating effects of licorice.
Some more licorice root benefits include Sore throat remedy; Natural remedy for cough; Protection against signs and symptoms of irritable bowel; Cure adrenal fatigue; Pain relief.
• Olive leaf has antiviral properties, giving it the ability to treat the common cold and dangerous viruses, including symptoms of candida, meningitis, pneumonia, chronic fatigue syndrome, hepatitis B, malaria, gonorrhea, and tuberculosis; it also treats dental, ear and urinary tract infections and is a natural treatment for shingles.
• Research shows that olive leaf extracts effectively fight several disease-causing microbes, including some viruses that cause flu and other respiratory infections.
• The powerful compounds found in olive leaves destroy invading organisms and prevent viruses from replicating and causing an infection.
• In fact, olive leaf is so beneficial to our health that treatment with olive leaf extracts reversed many changes associated with HIV-1 infection in a study conducted at New York University School of Medicine.
• Medicinal grade oregano is distilled to extract the essential oil and preserve its healing compounds; in fact, it takes over 1,000 pounds of wild oregano to produce just 1 pound of oregano oil.
• The benefits of oregano oil are proving to be superior to some antibiotics, without the harmful side effects.
• This is because oregano contains two powerful compounds, carvacrol, and thymol, which have powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties.
• It is carvacrol that reverses viral infections, as well as allergies, tumors, parasites, and disease-causing inflammation.
Doubting the power of this antiviral herb? Well, over 800 scientific studies are referring to carvacrol and its amazing health benefits!
• Teas are a great way to get the benefits of antiviral herbs every day.
• Soak a tablespoon of herbs in hot water for 5-10 minutes.
• Ginger, for example, is great in an after-dinner herbal tea.
• Helps digestion and fights viruses.
• Echinacea, for example, is a popular herbal tea sold in most health food stores, so the job is done for you.
• Herbal infusions are stronger than teas because they require a higher amount of herbs.
• To make your herbal tea, put a cup of antiviral herbs in water for about 7 hours.
• Store the infusion in an airtight container and drink it hot or cold.
• Because the infusions are strong, do not drink more than one cup a day.
• An infused oil is when the herb is heated in a carrier oil for several hours.
• You can use the oven to heat the mixture or try leaving it in a warm, sunny place for 12 hours.
• Use about 1/2 cup of antiviral herbs (you can use any herb or a mixture) and add it to 1 cup of coconut or jojoba oil.
• If you heat the mixture in the oven, it should be in an oven-safe dish for 3 hours at 200 degrees.
• If you decide not to use the oven, place the mixture in an airtight container and let it sit in a sunny spot for about 12 hours.
• Once the herbs are infused into the oil, drain the leaves and keep the oil in a bowl.
• You can use the oil topically to relieve pain and clear infections.
• Many of the antiviral herbs are sold as essential oils; be sure to buy pure, organic essential oils from a reputable company.
• To use the benefits of essential oils, such as their antiviral herb properties, diffuse 3 to 5 drops at home, add 2 or 3 drops to warm bath water, or mix 1 or 2 drops with a carrier oil and apply the mix directly on the skin.
• Massage of essential oils on the feet, abdomen, and chest helps fight fever or flu symptoms.
• If you are new to this natural remedy, use my Essential Oils Guide to get you started.
• A good way to incorporate herbs into your daily diet is by adding them to a smoothie. The Coriander recipe helps your body detoxify and relieves inflammation. It also has antiviral and antibacterial properties.
• Another great option is the alkaline juice recipe that has a pinch of garlic; This is a great way to fight viral infections and increase your cardiovascular health.
• It is recommended that you try to make herbal teas at home. They’re easy and packed with health benefits
• You can use ginger or licorice root instead of turmeric, just follow the Turmeric Recipe and add a teaspoon of the herb of your choice or 1-2 drops of an essential oil or oil infusion.
• Don’t miss out on adding these powerful antiviral herbs to your meals. They can be thrown into so many meals throughout the day and it’s worth it! Try the vegetarian omelet that calls for garlic and oregano, two antiviral herbs that fight infection.
• An easy way to add these herbs to your diet is to toss them into healthy soups. Choose from several healthy soup recipes; You can add 2-5 drops of essential oil, herbal tea, or oil infusion to any of these soups. They boost flavor and health benefits.
• If you use herbal teas or essential oils, remember that the products are extremely potent and should not be taken for a long period.
• If you use these natural remedies for their antiviral properties, do not take them for more than two weeks.
• It is important to take a break between long doses.
• If you are pregnant, use caution with the use of essential oils and contact your healthcare provider before doing so.
• Some of these antiviral herbs interact with medications, so read up on an herb before you start consuming its extract or essential oil.