Discover the side effects of St. John’s wort.
St. John’s wort has many benefits for health. It is a plant whose flowers and leaves have great medicinal value.
It is a well-known and effective remedy for treating depression among other mental health problems.
Before starting to take any medicine, even herbal medicine, you must know well all its possible adverse effects.
At HBO we tell you about the side effects of St. John’s wort so that you don’t run any unnecessary risks.
1. According to various studies, St. John’s wort is a safe treatment as long as it is taken for a short time. After those days it can even cause some negative health effects; It can also be counterproductive if large doses are taken by mouth.
One of the side effects derived from the consumption of this plant is a certain state of anxiety and nervousness.
As a consequence of this state, there are problems of irritability, difficulty sleeping, exaggerated fatigue, diarrhea, dizziness, and an upset stomach among other symptoms. If some of these effects are noticed, it is best to reduce the dose of St. John’s wort.
2. If you have started consuming St. John’s wort, it is very important that you be careful with sun exposure.
You must take this precaution into account because the combination of the sun and this medicinal plant can cause serious skin reactions.
This natural remedy increases the sensitivity of the skin and eyes to contact with the sun, something that affects whether you take the herb orally or topically. If you take this herb you must use sunscreen especially if you have fair skin.
3. One of the things you should take into account before taking St. John’s wort is its interaction with many medications.
Before starting this type of treatment, it is advisable to speak with a doctor so as not to assume any unnecessary risk.
It is contraindicated to take this plant if you are treating yourself with anxiety medications such as Xanax or Alprazolam, contraceptives with estrogens, and with medications that modify kidney action.
It is not suitable if you are taking medicines to combat depression, for AIDS, and any type of narcotic such as morphine or hydrocodone.
4. St. John’s wort is not entirely safe during pregnancy. According to animal studies, it can cause birth defects, although the real influence in women has not been proven.
What is known is that if you are breastfeeding, babies can suffer from colic, listlessness and some drowsiness. In these cases it is better to suspend the treatment or reduce the doses of the plant.
5. The St. John ‘s wort can have side effects especially in people with severe depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and Alzheimer’s.
It can have very negative consequences since it can cause dementia, psychosis and lead to serious phases of mania (extreme physical activity of a very impulsive nature) so before starting to take this herb it is advisable to speak with your specialist to assess your health and that there is no additional risk.
6. One last consideration about the adverse effects of St. John’s wort is that if you are going to undergo any surgical intervention , stop taking it a while before.
It has been shown that in those people who took the plant for more than 6 months and were anesthetized, there was a serious risk of heart failure during surgery. It is recommended to stop taking it at least two weeks before the operation.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis.
We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
We hope the article on the side effects of St. John’s wort was of help to you.
St John’s wort side effects NHS
St John’s wort side effects blood pressure
Does St John’s wort cause weight gain
Does St John’s wort work
What is St John’s wort used for
St John’s wort COVID vaccine
How long does St John’s wort take to work
St John’s wort contraindications
St John’s wort before bed
St John’s wort dosage for anxiety
Is St John’s wort safe
How much St John’s wort should I take
How to take St John’s wort
St John’s wort for depression
Discover the 15 shocking health benefits of almond leaf tea and side effects. Almond leaf… Read More
15 health benefits of drinking green tea with honey and side effects. Drinking green tea… Read More