Discover the contraindications and side effects of paracetamol.
Paracetamol, like other drugs, has some important contraindications and side effects to know before taking it.
Paracetamol is one of the best-selling drugs today. It is usually prescribed to treat mild to moderate pain or to treat fever generally. And it is precisely for this reason that we usually find doses of paracetamol in other medications.
Paracetamol is considered a very safe drug, as long as the recommended dose is respected. However, despite being a safe drug, there are some contraindications to paracetamol as well as side effects to consider.
Paracetamol is one of the few drugs that can be consumed in almost any situation, it is even suitable during pregnancy and lactation, as long as the recommended dose is followed.
Taking this drug also does not influence driving cases as it does not cause drowsiness. Still, there are situations in which paracetamol is contraindicated:
▪ If you have liver disease it is not recommended to take paracetamol.
▪ If you are allergic to any part of the drug.
Likewise, before taking this medicine, the following contraindications should be taken into account:
▪ Do not exceed the doses recommended by the medical specialist.
▪ Do not consume without medical supervision . Its free use is contraindicated.
▪ In case of persistent pain or fever lasting more than three days, stop treatment and consult your doctor again.
Like all medicines, paracetamol can cause some side effects, especially if you take more than it should or follow any of the contraindications that we have indicated. What are the side effects of paracetamol?
▪ Allergic reactions: although paracetamol is a very safe drug, it can cause some type of allergy in 0.01% of the people who consume it.
▪ Overdose : the maximum recommended dose is 4 grams per day. A higher consumption of this drug is totally contraindicated, unless the specialist has assessed it.
Taking paracetamol regularly and in large doses can cause overdoses, liver problems, kidney damage, digestive problems, heart attacks, strokes and cardiac arrest.
So, in order not to suffer from these contraindications, it will always be advisable to follow the instructions of the doctor or the drug leaflet to the letter.
Due to the great tolerance that most of the population has to paracetamol, despite the contraindications, since it does not cause great interactions, paracetamol is a perfect drug to combine with other types of active principles in the same pharmaceutical form, that is to say , in the same medicine.
This is a great advantage since, in a single shot, the expected results can be achieved. You can fight more than one symptom at the same time.
“It is common to find on the market a wide variety of anti-flu, which combine paracetamol with an antihistamine and a decongestant, reducing the symptoms of colds and flu, such as sneezing, nasal congestion, general malaise, pain and fever”
So, being very cautious with contraindications and side effects, it is a very safe drug, like others such as, for example, ibuprofen .