Discover the 31 shocking health benefits of jackfruit.
The jackfruit, jackfruit, jack, nangka or panapen (Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam.) Is a species belonging to the Moraceae family. Originally from Indonesia, where the greatest genetic diversity is found among its thousands of islands according to many researchers in botany and genetic dispersal.
It is also distributed to South and Southeast Asia. This tree produces the national fruit of Bangladesh, as well as Indonesia. It has great similarities with Artocarpus altilis (breadfruit), native to Indonesia and Melanesia.
The fruit, inside, is yellow, similar to mango. The juice has a slightly acidic and very sweet taste, a flavor reminiscent of a mango-orange mixture.
Jackfruit as it is also known is a fruit with great benefits. Plant products have been the most important components of the healthy diet for maintaining human health for a long time. Fruits and plants are known to have a protective effect on the body as they contain many active phytochemicals that act as antioxidants.
Research reported that phytochemicals, such as flavonoids and phenolic acids, are natural antioxidants that originate in plants and have therapeutic uses to maintain a healthy body and treat some diseases.
The jackfruit tree can grow tall until it reaches 80 feet in height and a large diameter. The tree has many branches and produces very sticky white latex. The jackfruit itself grows from plural flowers and can grow up to 35 pounds and even more.
As a recorder in the Guninness Book of Records, the largest cane fruit weighs 79 pounds and grew in Hawaii. This fruit is well known for its size and unique smell that can be described as a mixture of grape, cheese and banana, while others say that the fruity smell is like spoiled onions and sweaty sports socks and the cloying sweet smell.
Jackfruit originated in Southwest India based on some accounts by Indian sages and philosophers and then spread to all Southeast Asian countries and then spread to other tropical countries.
In some countries, people have different names for the cane fruit like nangka in Indonesia, bo luop mi in China, acquier in French, jaca, yaca in Spanish, Portuguese, lanka in the Philippines, and others. Jackfruit was introduced to the Philippines in the 12th century and later began to be cultivated there.
• Today we can find many varieties of jackfruit found all over the world, and the fruit is generally divided into two main categories: smooth or firm.
• The pulp of the fruit can be yellow to dark orange in color and the fruit also contains large seeds within it.
• People in some countries like Indonesia, India, the Philippines, and others used to cook the ripe fruit in curries, soups, and even stews.
• Green fruit can also be processed to make pickles, potato chips, dried and canned fruits.
• Jackfruit fries are also a common snack in some countries and because of their smell, people add jackfruit to ice cream and other types of dessert.
• Not just the flesh of the fruit. The seed can also be used to boil and consume as a snack. The Indians then processed the seed into gluten-free flour that can be used as part of the celiac disease patient’s diet.
Jackfruit contains the amount of nutrients that can help the body to stay healthy. You can find the nutrients according to the table below.
Per edible portion of 100 g of ripe fruit
Edible portion (g)
• Humidity 72-77.2
• Calories 98
• Protein 1.3-1.9
• Fat 0.2
• Carbohydrate 15.1-25.4
• Fiber 1.0-5
• Ash 0.8-2.2
• Calcium 22-37
• Iron 0.5-1.7
• Phosphorus 38
• Potassium 292-407
• Sodium 2-48
• Vitamin C 8-10
• Thiamine 0.03
• Riboflavin 0.06
• Niacin 0.4-4
• Vitamin A 540 IU
Jackfruit is one of the excellent fruits that provides your body with many benefits when consumed regularly. Below are the list of the health benefits of jackfruit that you should know
• Jackfruit is considered a healthy snack and can be consumed even if you are on a diet.
• Jackfruit contains calories that can fill you up and helps provide energy to your body quickly.
• So if you need to increase your energy faster, consuming this fruit is one of the best options as it is loaded with simple sugar carbohydrates but has no cholesterol.
• It contains vitamin C, A, and other phytochemicals that act as antioxidants and help prevent cancer.
• Cancer is a degenerative disease caused by many factors such as toxin and free radical damage in the body.
• According to a study, jackfruit is effective in cleaning the colon and preventing colorectal cancer.
• Loaded with high level of vitamin A, jackfruit can help you maintain healthy vision and improve your eyesight.
• The fruit contains a large amount of vitamin C which can promote collagen production.
• As we know, collagen is a protein that maintains a tight tissue bond, especially in the skin layer.
• This makes jackfruit a good option to keep your skin young and firm.
• Protein is the main component of most tissues and organs in the body and is vital for maintaining healthy body function.
• It is an excellent source of protein that can help repair your body’s cells from damage caused by free radicals or other harmful substances.
• The vitamin C and protein in jackfruit is the best combination for healing wounds that occur on the outer surface of the body’s skin.
• They also work from inside the body and ensure wound healing.
• If you want to have thick and healthy hair, consuming jackfruit is one of the solutions.
• It contains many nutrients that can improve blood circulation in an effort to provide nutrients to the entire body, especially the roots of the hair.
• Constipation is a common digestion problem that occurs in the large intestine or colon.
• Because it contains dietary fiber it can soften the stool and help it to pass through the large intestine.
• This will make your bowel movement easier and make your stomach feel comfortable.
• The vitamin C in jackfruit can boost the immune system and improve the function of white blood cells to fight disease.
• If you get bored just consuming orange, you can simply taste the flavor of the jackfruit.
• Because of the presence of potassium, it makes jackfruit an excellent food for people who are facing hypertension or high blood pressure disease.
• The potassium content in jackfruit can help the body stabilize blood pressure and maintain normal heart pump within the body.
• Fiber is the best of plant products that support healthy digestion function.
• The fiber contained in jackfruit can improve bowel movement and promote better absorption of nutrients.
• Jackfruit is believed to be able to relieve asthma.
• Asthma is a disorder that occurs in the respiratory tract and is triggered by an allergen.
• These benefits can be provided by the vitamin C and A contents of the jackfruit.
• Who knows that jackfruit also contains calcium which can keep bones strong.
• Enjoying jackfruit in milky ice cream will not only quench your thirst during the hot day but will also strengthen your bones.
• Osteoporosis is a disorder in which the bones lose their shape and cause fracture or damage to the bones.
• This disease is usually experienced by the elderly, especially women after menopause.
• Jackfruit has calcium that not only promotes bone strength but also prevents bones from losing mass and causing osteoporosis.
• Weakness, fatigue, loss of stamina and others are some of the symptoms of anemia.
• Anemia is a disorder that occurs because the body does not have red blood cells due to the absence of iron.
• Iron is a vital mineral that keeps red blood cells healthy and ensures that oxygen is transported to every cell in the body.
• The fruit contains iron which can prevent anemia.
• High content of vitamin C makes your body relieve quickly from the cold.
• Cold or commonly known as influenza is caused by a virus infection.
• The vitamin C in jackfruit can stimulate the work of the immune system to get rid of these viruses and heal you faster.
• Infection commonly occurs in the body that is triggered by the presence of harmful substances or microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses.
• The nutrient content in the fruit, especially vitamin C, vitamin A, and other phytochemicals are powerful fighting substances that can heal and reduce infection.
• Even jackfruit contains sugar.
• Consuming the meat can be considered healthy for the patient with diabetes, since it contains manganese, a mineral that can control the level of sugar in the blood and keep it in normal conditions.
• Night blindness, also known as nyctalopia, is a problem that occurs in people who lose the ability to see through darkness and low light conditions.
• Jackfruit has a large amount of vitamin A that can improve vision and help prevent night blindness.
• It has the amount of nutrients, especially vitamin B6 that can protect the heart and control the level of homocysteine in the heart.
• The potassium content in the fruit also plays an important role in maintaining normal and healthy heart function.
• Not only is it loaded with many nutrients, it is also complete with some phytochemicals that act as anti-inflammatory and anti-ulcer properties that can reduce inflammation and treat ulcer that occurs in the stomach.
• The thyroid is an important gland that controls the production of hormones and various metabolic processes that occur in the body.
• The nutrients contained in the fruit, especially micronutrients, including vitamins and minerals that can help maintain healthy thyroid function.
• The jackfruit seed is gluten-free and can be processed to make flour just like the people of South India did.
• Jackfruit seed flour can be used to prepare healthy gluten-free meals for patients with celiac disease (a condition where the body cannot digest gluten, a protein found in grains)
• Nutrients can help the liver function and detoxify the blood of toxin and other harmful substances.
• So if you are on a detox diet, consuming it is totally safe and can be just as helpful.
• Scurvy used to occur in people who lack vitamin C intake.
• It is rich in vitamin C and can be an alternative to provide your body with vitamin C that can help prevent scurvy.
• Jackfruit delivers many nutrients to your body, especially vitamin B complex, such as riboflavin, thiamine, niacin, and others that are known to be important nutrients in the metabolism process.
• Those vitamins are the cofactor of some metabolic enzymes that undergo energy production.
• Used as a face mask it is really rare, but it is believed that the jackfruit seed can be used as a skin treatment in an effort to lighten the skin.
• Just soak the seed in milk and honey and then grind it.
• Apply the ground seed on your face for about 15 minutes and rinse it off with warm water.
• The proteins and other nutrients in jackfruit, especially antioxidants, can help protect the brain and promote the formation of brain cells.
• Due to its effect on maintaining brain function and repairing brain damage, the antioxidant in jackfruit can surely prevent you from getting Alzheimer’s.
• Alzheimer’s is a disorder in which a person lost their memory and used to occur in older people.
• Pregnant women need large amounts of nutrients to keep their bodies healthy and to support the development of the baby or fetus within their womb.
• Jackfruit contains folate that can prevent the baby from damaging the neural tube and the vitamin content in the fruit helps to develop the organ of the fetus’ body.
• Alcohol has numerous side effects, such as liver and brain damage.
• Alcohol can be harmful to the body if consumed excessively.
• Traditional Chinese Medicine or TCM has used jackfruit to heal and treat the effect of alcohol for a long time.
• Even if it has many benefits for your body, you should exercise caution before consuming jackfruit.
• It contains proteins and other substances that can cause allergies in some people.
• It can also raise blood sugar in diabetes patients if consumed excessively.
• People who are trying to get pregnant should avoid consuming jackfruit as it can lower libido.
• It should be known that the fruit should not be consumed by people under medication such as warfarin (drug for blood clotting) and those who have just had a tissue transplant.
We hope the article on the 31 shocking health benefits of jackfruit has been of help.