20 shocking health benefits of iron.
Iron is a mineral that played an important role in your body.
Most of the iron in the body can be found in the hemoglobin of red blood cells and also in the myoglobin of muscle cells.
This nutrient becomes very vital in the body due to its ability to carry oxygen from the respiratory organs like the lungs to the other parts of the body.
Also, this nutrient will always stick to keep you energetic throughout the day.
I bet you already know that it is beneficial to have enough iron in your body.
But do you know all the benefits of iron that you could get? Here are the benefits of iron for the health of your body that you should know.
• The main benefits of having enough iron in the body are mainly because it can stimulate the release of hemoglobin formation.
• Hemoglobin played a vital role in transporting oxygen from the respiratory organs to other parts of the body.
• The addition of hemoglobin in the body would be very valuable since each person tends to lose a lot of blood through some injuries, both internal and external, or during the menstrual period in women.
• Adding hemoglobin will prevent anemia.
• Iron is very beneficial in regulating body temperature based on the body’s absorption capacity.
• When your body temperature is regulated by the iron, it means that your temperature will be stable, allowing the metabolic and enzymatic functions to maximize their performance in their best environments and general temperatures.
• When your body is lacking in iron, you are more likely to suffer from a condition called iron deficiency anemia.
• If you leave it untreated, this would be dangerous as you need a blood transfusion or intravenous iron therapy to cure it.
• If you want to avoid this disease, you must make sure that you have enough iron in your body.
• This disease is also the most common nutritional deficiency that can occur in the human body.
• This is one of the most important benefits that can be obtained from iron.
• Iron is widely known to take a large part in transferring oxygen from the lungs to other cells and tissues in your body due to the hemoglobin compounds it contains.
• It is very vital as all organ systems in your body require oxygen to carry out their routine functions properly.
• Iron is one of the most important nutrients in your body to prevent unexplained chronic fatigue.
• This mineral could protect you from sudden fatigue because iron has a high amount of hemoglobin.
• This hemoglobin will carry oxygen from the respiratory organs to the other parts of your body, making you more energetic, healthy, and fit, even in your diet.
• A study carried out at the University of Melbourne shows that iron helps to improve the performance of women in exercise.
• This benefit is strongly related to the health benefits of iron already mentioned in issue 4.
• Iron is one of the nutrients that played a vital role in the metabolism process.
• The hemoglobin contained in iron can stimulate the body’s metabolism process, which will then transport energy from the food you have just eaten to every part of the organ in your body.
• This is good news for all parents who are currently concerned about their children’s appetites.
• Sometimes, or in most cases, parents found it difficult to find the solution to improve their child’s appetite.
• There is a study conducted by The Journal on Nutrition on Kenyan primary school children, which found that iron supplementation will improve appetite and growth among children.
• Some studies conducted at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst showed that iron could be beneficial in alleviating some premenstrual symptoms that can cause some discomfort such as dizziness, mood swings, and hypertension.
• The result of that study is that women who enjoy a diet rich in iron will be less likely to suffer any symptoms associated with pre-menstruality by up to 40 percent compared to women who consume fewer foods with iron in their diet.
• A study report from the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews shows that early or prenatal iron supplementation will protect all women during their pregnancy from maternal anemia.
• Also, iron supplements will protect your baby from the risk of low birth weight.
• Therefore, all pregnant women are strongly advised to consume foods that contain large amounts of iron in greater quantity than women who are not going to become pregnant.
• The absorption of iron in the body would be very smooth if it is combined with foods that contain large amounts of vitamin C.
• iron is also very beneficial for the health of the hair.
• Iron will help carry oxygen from the respiratory organs to the other parts of the body, including the hair.
• Additionally, iron can stimulate the absorption of nutrients from food and transport them to other parts of the body, including the hair.
• This will allow the roots of the hair and the scalp to receive enough oxygen and nutrients that will then strengthen the hair.
• A study conducted in Dermatology shows that women suffering from iron deficiency will experience excessive hair loss, especially in non-menopausal women.
• Iron is also very essential for maintaining the health of our muscles, as iron stimulates the release of myoglobin.
• Myoglobin is one of the muscle proteins, it carries oxygen that carries hemoglobin and then stores oxygen in muscle cells.
• The oxygen in the muscle cells will help the muscle to contract.
• Without iron, the chances of your muscle losing its elasticity will be greater.
• Restless leg syndrome is a neurological movement disorder that causes one to want to repeatedly move the legs over and over again.
• This disorder can cause some problems related to the quality of your sleep because you will feel the need to move your legs frequently.
• You will be more likely to suffer from this restless leg syndrome as this disease is widely associated with iron deficiency.
• There was a study that shows that the lack of iron in the body will stimulate this disease.
• This is one of the most important benefits that can be obtained from iron.
• Iron played a vital role in transporting oxygen to your blood, and therefore the effects will be directly in your brain.
• Your brain uses about 20 percent of oxygen in the blood, so oxygen must be transferred properly into the blood, as adequate blood flow to the brain will trigger cognitive activity and prevent the brain from suffering from cognitive disturbances. like Alzheimer’s, or even a stroke.
• A Pediatric Neurology seminar also showed that babies suffering from iron deficiency are more likely to have a problem related to their cognitive and neuropsychiatric development.
• Therefore, women who are going to get pregnant should make sure that they are consuming iron-containing foods for the health of their babies.
• This benefit is closely related to the health benefits of iron-related to brain development.
• If you have enough iron in your body, your blood supply to the brain will function properly, therefore, you will maintain your concentration while doing your activity.
• Also, your cognitive and mental performance will improve due to this adequate blood supply to your brain.
• You already know that iron contains hemoglobin, which will help your body carry oxygen to other parts of the body.
• This hemoglobin will then stimulate the activity of the red blood cells.
• Red blood cells are commonly known for their ability to supply oxygen to damaged cells, organs, or tissues.
• This activity of the red blood cells will protect you from any infection that may occur with your disease.
• Some studies show that iron may help protect you against any disease associated with anemia.
• First, iron will be beneficial in curing anemia in a pregnant woman.
• Pregnant women generally lose a lot of blood during the birth of their babies, and iron supplies a high number of red blood cells to replace the lost blood.
• Iron can also cure another type of anemia called predialysis anemia and kidney failure anemia.
• Because these diseases can be very complicated and dangerous for your safety, you cannot rely on iron alone, and you need to see a doctor immediately.
• It is revealed that sleep can help to obtain a better quality of sleep and the treatment of insomnia, as iron can regulate circadian rhythms.
• Also, proper blood circulation will make your blood pressure more stable and you can relax more than before.
• Iron might also ease the restless leg syndrome discussed above, which often keeps people up all night.
• Lack of iron in the body will lead to various diseases, such as anemia, for example.
• In most cases, anemia will affect your overall appearance and your skin will be paler than before, and also the dark circle will appear just below your eyes.
• Lack of iron leads to a hemoglobin deficiency, which means that oxygen does not flow properly.
• If the flow of oxygen is interrupted, your skin will appear so pale that it will affect your appearance.
• Eating foods that contain a large amount of iron will make your skin glow and healthy, of course.
• Iron can also make your wounds disappear from your body in a short time.
• If you have a sufficient amount of iron in your body, the formation of red blood cells will occur suddenly and then they will provide oxygen for the damaged wounds.
• This proper flow of oxygen will make your wounds disappear and allow you to experience a speedy recovery.
• It is also revealed that the neurotransmitter could stimulate the synthesis of essential neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine.
• These neurotransmitters played a vital role in different activities in the human brain.
Types of iron and list of foods that contain iron
Well, now you know that you need a sufficient amount of iron as it is very important for your body. But do you know what kinds of foods contain a high amount of iron?
Before we look for that answer, we first need to know that there are two types of iron that you can use for your body, which are heme iron and non-heme iron.
• Heme iron is only found in animal sources.
• You must consume these types of iron if you want to increase or maintain good iron levels in your body as your body absorbs most of the iron in your body from this heme iron.
These are foods that contain high amounts of heme iron that could be very beneficial for your body.
• Beef or chicken liver
• Salmon – Veal
• Tuna – Sardines
• Cooked Beef – Perch
• Cooked Turkey – Ham
Meanwhile, non-heme iron can only be found in plant sources. These types of iron are less absorbed by the body. Therefore, you need the addition of vitamin C to make these types of iron can be absorbed in greater amounts by your body.
• Cereals – Tofu – Whole grains
• Baked potatoes – Cooked beans – Rice
• Broccoli – Chickpeas – Bread
• Apricot – Spinach – Pasta
Although iron will give us many benefits, some side effects can happen to you if you take it in excess.
These are some of the symptoms that could happen to you if you take too much iron.
• There is a study conducted at the University of Indiana that shows that if you consume heme iron that contains excess in a slice of meat, you will be more likely to suffer from heart disease up to 57 percent higher than before.
• Therefore, you should consume heme iron in a moderate amount, and therefore it is necessary to change it to non-heme iron, as this type of iron does not have any side effects.
• An expert study found a connection between iron and an increased risk of colorectal cancer.
• Consuming too much iron will make it a high-risk possibility for cancer.
• In most cases, the most common and practical solution to adding some iron to the body is to take iron supplements.
• But, these iron supplements could bring you dangerous gastroenteritis-related symptoms, such as diarrhea, constipation, and nausea.
• It is true that iron would be very beneficial for the brain.
• But we have to agree and understand that everything, even the good one, would not be good if we took it too often.
• Iron is no exception.
• Too much iron can make your brain susceptible to oxidative damage that could lead to neurodegenerative-associated diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Now you know the true benefits of iron. Therefore, since iron is one of the most important nutrients in the body, and it played a vital role in transporting oxygen from the respiratory organs to the other parts of your body, you need to make sure that you already have an adequate amount of iron in your body.
If you have insufficient amounts of iron, try to eat the iron-rich foods described above.